Pickled Scallops, Japanese pepper & Bloody Shiraz Gin Caviar
- 6x Local fresh scallops (ideally in the shell with roe) – Frozen will work also just fine
- Fine chopped chives
- Togarashi – Found in Japanaese Grocers – It’s a seasoning powder of dried chilli
- Bloody Shiraz Gin Caviar
For the Pickle
- 100g sugar
- 100mls Rice vinegar
- 100mls cooking Mirnin
- 50mls Water
- 10mls Sake (optional)
- Warm all ingredients together (except sake) and allow the sugar to dissolve. Allow to cool completely before adding the sake.
- Steep the scallops in the pickle mixture for 6-12 hours. – You can leave longer and this will firm the texture of the scallop. This is best done overnight.
- Serve the scallops back in the shell, seasoned with togarashi, chives and Olssons sea salt.
- Top with Bloody Shiraz Gin Caviar and serve.