Smoked Trout risotto with YVC Rainbow Trout Caviar
- 50g butter
- 1 large brown onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 1 fennel bulb, finely diced
- 250 ml white wine
- 500 g arborio rice
- 2 litres vegetable stock – warmed
- 200 g frozen baby peas
- 1 bunch dill, finely chopped
- 150g cream fraiche, plus extra for serving
- 200 g Hot smoked Rainbow Trout, flaked and pin bones removed
- Juices and zest of 1 lemon – microplaned
- sea salt and pepper
- Parmesan, microplaned
- YVC Rainbow Trout Caviar
- Melt the butter in a heavy based saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and fry until translucent. Add the garlic and fennel and gently cook for a further 5 minutes – no colour
- Add the wine and cook for a further 5 minutes, until evaporated. Add the rice, and fry until it becomes translucent.
- Ladle over approximately 200 ml of the stock and stir well. Repeat this process and reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook until all the stock has been reduced completely. Continue to cook the risotto with this method until the rice is almost cooked.
- When almost cooked, fold through the peas, dill, cream fraiche, flaked trout, juice and zest of the lemon. Cook for another minute and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with microplaned parmesan, and an extra dollop of cream fraiche
- Finish with scatterings of Yarra Valley Rainbow Trout Pearls, and a splash of EVOO